BZB101 Module 3: Leveraging the Search Engines
SEO doesn't have to be a mystery. And it's much more than knowing where to put title tags and keywords. SEO is the framework the search engines use to determine who ranks for each search query. There are no hard yes's or no's. There are often one page websites from 1995 that still outrank better competitors. But if you understand the principles of SEO you shouldn't have any problem with any other site.
The Business Blogging Course is for any business looking to add blogging to their overall marketing strategy. The course discusses the role of blogging, time requirements, methods of monetization, purpose and platforms. It also covers the strategies required to achieve search engine leverage.
BZB101 3-0: The Grand Design
Not everything that you do or have on your site needs to be optimized. Optimization is a strategy by which we are trying to attract people who are searching for the questions that you are solving. Not everything you write is solving a problem or has people looking for them.
The search engines provide traffic to our websites, but for the most part we don't care about traffic. What we really want is the right traffic. So let's figure out what is that traffic? If we can lay out a plan for the kind of traffic we want, we can be sure that everything that follows actually builds our business. . . not just today's income.
What do I want to be known for in the next 3 to 5 years?
- Where do they search? And what's the difference between searches on Google and Amazon?
- Where do we find these things?
- How do we know if it is worth our time?
- How much is too much? Think about your resources as well as your audience's engagement when determining your content production schedule.
- Where do we add new content? There are so many places. What is the strategy?
- Multimedia content. Use it. Use it. Use it.
- Show them the way to Like, Pin and Share. If you don't ask them, they'll likely not do what you want them to do.
- Don’t leave them hanging. Give you audience a place to go next. A question. A related blog post.
- Twitter and Facebook aren’t the only dogs. There are tons of social media sites on the net. Where is your audience hanging out?
- The power of page rank. What is page rank and why is it sort of a myth?
- Anchor text. . . words that are also links serve the search engines as clues to what pages are about.
- Link Bait is something you do or create that is so awesome others will link to it.
- Follow and no-follow are terms you need to understand. Use the rel=”nofollow” function when your site is pointing at anything that makes you money. Follow Google's rules.
- If you master these few things, you'll be an analytics ninja.
- 2 things in WebmasterTools (Search Ranking Data, CTR Data)
- 2 things in Analtyics (Keyword Themes and Traffic Origin)
- 2 things in Facebook insights (Reach Data and Stream Hints)
- Ezine Articles
- What does grilled cheese have to do with your SEO efforts?
- Should you use categories and tags?
- Something is wrong with my site... did I mess up my SEO?
- How many words should my search optimized posts be?
- Follow or no-follow links?
- Will linking to other sites hurt my rankings?
BZB101 3-0.1: The Key to Understanding SEO 1
What do hallways, bathrooms and molehills have to do with Search Engine Optimization (SEO)?
Hot off the heels of NAMS Dan takes us deep into the world of how to optimize your website, pages and content for maximim impact...
DOWNLOAD SEO Simplified Webinar
BZB101 3-0.2: The Key to Understanding SEO 2
Recorded at BloggyCon, this is more insight into understanding what you're really trying to accomplish.
BZB101 3-1: Keywords
What do people search for? Why do we care?
BZB101 3-2: Give ‘em something to talk about
Most of content is mindset timing: Use tools like Google.com/trends to see when your audience is really thinking about your topics
BZB101 3-3: The Social Game
Give them something to talk about. Be interesting but also mindful of the message you're sending.
BZB101 3-4: Pointing Fingers
BZB101 3-5: Link Building – the more links from outside sites the better
Good link building practices:
1. Before and After. (from Day 6): use the pitch technique. Would be good synergy. Guest posts. Partnership. Show each other to your audiences.
2. Competing sites: Since you have the same audience – share and cross promote. Do joint ventures. Find 5 people in the same niche and work together.
3. Link bait: have something so awesome that people will want to link to it. (you might have to go tell them about it so they will know it's there!)
4. Your Sphere of Influence: FB, Twitter, Pinterest, Flickr, YouTube, LinkedIn, places your guest speak at, etc etc.
Links x Power of the site = Page rank
Sites like Huffington Post and Examiner build your profile.
BZB101 3-6: Webmaster Tools & Analytics
WHERE ARE YOU RANKED?
BZB101 3-6: Keyword Theme Maps Tutorial
BZB101 3-7: Keywords Keywords Keywords
FREEWEEKLY MASTERMIND Keyword Research Call
BZB101 3-8: Non Traditional Keyword Research
BZB101 3-9: Internal Link Structure
BZB101 3-10: How to use the Google Display Planner
I got two questions today:
1. If I'm going to link a new post to an old post, what anchor text link do I use?
2. If I need to flesh out and expand an article, what do I add that would be SEO friendly?
I thought both would be answered by explaining how to use the Google Display Planner.
BZB101 3-11: Advanced SEO Nobody Talks About
This week's training was about Advanced SEO strategy that nobody out there is sharing. It gets a bit deep at times but you'll come out the other end with a deeper understanding of how your SEO needs to be setup. Enjoy.
Download: Advanced SEO MP4
BZB101 3-12: Your SEO Questions Answered
Tonight we covered a lot of great questions from the Peanut Gallery like...
Check it out, leave us a message with your questions and we'll answer it in our upcoming podcast.
BZB101 3-12: How to use Brainstorm Tools
Housed inside of SBI's fabulous service is BrainstormTools, the best keyword research tool on the planet. In this quick tutorial, I show you what it is and how to use it. I hate to be short, but the video should speak for itself.
BZB101 3-13: Using BizExpress from BrainstormTools
BrainstormTools.com came out with a new product though it doesn't change anything for us. It's just a different interface. If you got that, here's the tutorial.
And some articles / books to keep you going
SEO of WordPress Categories and Tags
WordPress Does Not Help SEO
The Google AdWords Keyword Tool Mistake
Image SEO Mindmap
Blog Post Publishing Checklist